#image { position: relative; top: 0px; left: 0px; width: 800px; height: 600px; Me Love To Ramble: Psyc331 - Higgins' Self Discrepancy Theory

« Home | I think this is serious. » | Have you ever.. » | I passed him the powdered sugar that he had been l... » | I got myself a pair of these. » | I'll give you a right up. » | I. AM. FAT. I. GOT. TO. BE. ANOREXIC. TO. BE. PRETTY. » | Finally, presenting the mysterious Suri Cruise » | I feel happy. » | chocolate therapy. » | It's UB football homeopener!! »

Psyc331 - Higgins' Self Discrepancy Theory

This is one theory that I like.
Because I can apply it to myself.
And usually those theories that I can relate to are those few theories that I like.
It says that there are three selfs in one person.

The Actual Self- who you are


The Ideal Self- who you want to be


The Ought Self- who you think you should be.


If there is discrepancy between the actual self and ideal self, you will be depressed and sad.
If there is discrepancy between the actual self and the ought self, this will lead to anxiety.

Confused? Let me tell you a real life example.

The Actual Me- I am an average looking communication student who wants to be good looking and real good in advertising.


The Ideal Me- I am supposed to be rich and pretty and have a good intern and a good job in ogilvy waiting for me once I graduate.


The Ought Me- I should have studied either law or architecture or medcine, because they guarantee me a job after I graduate.


I (the ugly communication student) am not the one I wanted to be (the pretty, budding advertising mogul) and is for sure not the one I should be (the lawyer, architect, doctor.)

Which means this make me a real sad and depressed and anxious young woman.
Pretty screwed.

HEY!!! I've finally got my hand on ur parcel n unwrapped them b4 i slept around 2 last nite...
Seriously, i'm really really touched. u always gimme the best present!!! i love everything... and it's really good to c n read ur hand writing, i miss them a lot n they always hav a soothing effect.
THANK U SO VERY MUCHY!!! :)

コメントを投稿